The 21st century is driven by technological advancements and electricity is at its core. Look around you; from the light, you use to the air conditioning installed in your house, everything makes use of electricity in one way or another.
Electricity has facilitated human life in more ways than one can imagine. It is the root of development in all fields of science, engineering, and technology, and a huge part of our everyday lives. However, despite the countless benefits, electricity also carries a significant amount of danger and risk.
Hundreds of people lose their lives every year because of the health hazards presented by electricity or electrical appliances. Even professional people who work with electricity under a controlled environment cannot avoid minor shocks and injuries. The situation worsens when someone who is not a skilled professional decides to fix some naked wires in their house.
Knowing the tendency of humans to be careless with everything they use, we have compiled a list of electrical dangers that one should avoid at all costs.
Overheated Power Sockets
It is common knowledge that overheated power sockets are a danger to you and your family. They are responsible for starting too many house fires; therefore, they should be dealt with utmost seriousness.
There are plenty of reasons for a power outlet to get overheated including the ones listed below.
- If you plug in too many electrical appliances in a single power socket, the plastic used to make that socket is likely to melt and fall off. If the situation is left unattended, the cord or wire will start burning.
- An upsurge of voltage in a wire that has limited wattage capacity can make it heat up and catch fire soon after.
- Octopus wiring and pulling off a plug forcefully can also be the cause of your power outlet heating up.
Exposed & Defective Electrical Wires
Poor wiring gives rise to several electrical dangers such as overheating of cords, wattage surges, and electrical fires. For this reason, it is always better to hire a trusted Sydney electrician to deal with problems related to wiring and their installation. You cannot afford to take any risks by dealing with damaged electrical wiring or installing new wiring by yourself — the consequences can be grave for you and your family.
The following are some indicators of problems in electrical wiring:
- Corroded and broken wiring.
- Damaged cords of electrical appliances.
- Punctured wires.
You should know that it’s not wise to hide wires and cords under a rug or carpet or place heavy objects on them. Furthermore, if there are mice in or around your house then you have to look for any chewed wires to avoid accidental shocks.
Electricity and Water
Any person who has a bit of knowledge about electricity and its mechanics will know how electricity and water don’t go well together. Therefore, it is important to install power sockets at a safe distance from any water source to minimize safety hazards.
Bathrooms, kitchens, pool areas, and gardens are the kind of places that will have a water source near them in one form or another hence you need to be extra cautious in these places.
Additionally, never touch an electrical appliance with wet hands or you are bound to get the shock of your life if that appliance is running on high wattage. In the worst cases, death is a possibility if the shock is too extreme or too sudden for an individual.
You may not know it but you expose yourself to electrical dangers on a daily basis due to things like wet flooring in a laundry room and using the hairdryer in the bathroom. Hence, it is important to be extra careful when using electrical appliances that run on high voltage like washing machines, ovens and juicers.
One more thing that you should avoid at it all costs is to attempt to diffuse electrical fires with water. Electrical fires are different than ordinary fires as they latch onto everything and everyone unless the object is insulated, or the person is wearing a safety suit. Use extinguishers to diffuse all electrical fires instead of water or you can cut off the main power supply to reduce the damage from the fire.
Keep Children Away
Children are naturally curious which often exposes them to various safety hazards. Their inquisitive nature makes them go to areas where they shouldn’t be and touch things they shouldn’t be touching. You can’t keep up with them all the time, which means you have to look for alternate ways to ensure their safety.
Replace all the power outlets your kids can access with more secure options including extra-safe power sockets and trip switches. Their design is such that kids will not be able to insert their fingers in them or switch them on.
We can’t live without electricity in a world where almost everything is powered by it. Also, It is evident that the pros of electricity are far more than the cons, yet it is the latter that deserves more of your attention.
By knowing the risks associated with electricity and its usage, you can take the necessary steps to avoid them. Keep these tips in mind to ensure you and your family stay safe from all kinds of electrical dangers.