What comes to your mind when you think of doing a DIY woodwork project at home? For most people, the only woodwork they can do include making simple furniture, toys and repairing some broken wooden items. Fortunately, innovations and new technologies are making it easier to work with wood.
Unlike when woodwork projects involved simple tools like saws and hammers, modern tools like CNC Routers have expanded the field by allowing new woodwork projects that were not possible with the traditional tools.
This article is about some of the best do it yourself projects you can try if you have a CNC Router.
Project 1: Make Intricate Signs
If your home has a wooden front door, your DIY project can be carving a wooden signage to hang on the door. There are various readymade generic signs in the market, but carving yours will ensure its uniqueness. Below are some tips on how to make a signage hanging for your door using a CNC Router.
- Step 1: Create a design of the signage using a designing program or import it from another location.
- Step 2: Create an elaborate tool path so that the CNC Router knows how to carve out the design
- Step 3: Import the files onto CNC Router and turn it on
- Step 4: Wait for the machine to finish the piece and remove it. The machine will do the carving within a short time, plus it also has a cleaning up mechanism to make work easier.
Project 2: 3D Objects
Woodwork is more interesting if you make 3D objects as they are attractive and realistic. Your 3D project can be making anything from dolls to decorations, toys and anything similar. Follow the below steps to make a 3D object using a CNC Router.
- Step 1: Create your desired design using a software program.
- Step 2: Choose your preferred wood type: You can use solid wood or plywood, depending on the project’s complexity.
- Step 3: Transfer the files onto the CNC Router and turn it on.
- Step 4: Wait for the machine to carve your device from the wood as there is no human intervention needed during carving.
- step 5: Once the Machine has finished the process, you can turn it off and take your 3D object.
Project 3: Make a Magnetic Wooden Box
A box has numerous uses whether at home or workplaces. We mostly use boxes for storage, but they can also help in decoration. Making ordinary boxes is easy using traditional tools, but you can take advantage of your modern equipment to make a magnetic wooden box using the following steps.
- Step 1: Select the wood type to use for the project.
- Step 2: Design your box using a software program like any other CNC Router project.
- Step 3: Have the files in your CNC Router and turn it on. The machine will cut the wood according to your design.
- Step 4: Once all the pieces are done, you can attach small magnets on both top and bottom pieces. Ensure that the magnets keep both parts aligned to each other when the box is closed.
- Step 5: Store your small items inside the box for safekeeping.