Have you ever seen the cartoon “Tom and Jerry” yet? The mouse Jerry is so smart, isn’t it? I am a fan of this mouse.
However, in practice, rats do not look cute like in the movie. They always bring a terrible feeling for your house. They create unpleasant sounds when running and sometimes horrible smell. At such time, you got angry and even, cursed the mice?
After facing some failures like Tom in the cartoon, finally, I found out the solution for the question “how to catch a smart rat in my house”. Keep reading on to know what the methods are.
What foods are rats attracted to?
In “Tom and Jerry”, the mouse loves eating cheese. However, not all rats like cheese. Sometimes, they hate this food. Following are foods that rats love.
- Fruits: It may make you surprised. The rats have pretty good teeth and enjoy sweet and fragrant foods like fruit. Some kinds of fruit are grapes, bananas, coconuts, cranberries, …
- Vegetable: Rats are rodents and they can eat everything. They especially like crispy vegetables such as cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, etc
- Nuts: They also love eating nuts and cereal. Rice, oats, barley, sunflower seeds, etc are the favorite food of rats.
- Meat: The rat is also a scavenger animal. In an urban environment, there is a high amount of regular meat available, which becomes the main food source for rats. Some kinds of food are sausage, beef, chicken sandwiches, or fast food.
- Insects: They need protein to recharge their energy. Sometimes, they will put insects into their diet like beetles, caterpillars, cockroaches, grasshoppers, worms, etc
- Peanut butter: They love sweet and protein food. Also, many kinds of research show that this is the most favorite food of rats.
Knowing the favorite foods of rats can help us prepare food traps for mice. They are straightforward and safe methods to catch rats in your house.
How to catch a smart rat in your house?
Choose the right place for your trap
The first important thing to catch a rat in the house is to place the trap right.
Traps are most effective when set in the mice’s regular route and a low-light setting. When you are utilizing traps to dispose of serious rat pervasion, try to use multiple traps.
To further build your chances, place them under furnishings, inside wardrobes, cupboards, and so forth.
In case you don’t know where the rodents travel, investigate their usual path first. Either keep an eye on them or utilize their signs or use a camera trap.
The camera traps will distinguish their development and record where they are going. Along these lines, you will come to think about their particular course and spot traps at the right area.
Choose the right bait for your trap
The next step in the process of catching a smart rat is using the right bait for the trap. Picking the right area for the device isn’t sufficient; you need to give close consideration to the bait moreover.
The best lure for a rodent trap will rely upon the sort of rat you’re managing. Darker rodents are omnivorous and dark rodents are herbivorous. This plainly implies you can’t trap all sort of species with only one kind of lure.
See! Now, you can use the above section of the food that rats love to apply in this stage.
If you need to dispose of black rats, they like peanut butter. Then again, cheddar is an excellent goad for brown rodents. Some other great baits include nuts, stinky cheddar, chocolate bars, shrimp, and so on.
Use the best trap
To get the best results, you have to use the best trap. It means that you need to use the right traps for each rodent you want to catch. For example, when you’re dealing with rats, mouse traps or cubes aren’t big enough.
You can utilize snap traps and attempt Asprint Electronic Rat Traps for successful outcomes. It is intended for perfect and speedy catching and function admirably for both rats and mice. Brown rats measures between 7 to 10 inch long, thus the trap should fit the size of the rat.
OK! But, how can you distinguish the rats and mice?
You should search for signs and decide rat infestation or mice infestation. For some differences between rats and mice, rats are bigger and have thicker tails. Meanwhile, mice are smaller, and have thinner tails and smaller faces.
Use an electronic rat zapper
Another simple method for the question “how to catch a smart rat” is using an electric rat zapper.
You can use this trap when there is no handle trap nearby. An electronic trap kills the rat with an intense shock of electricity when a rat enters the cage. It will likewise buzz to tell you that the device has a rat and should be emptied.
You should lift the indirect access of the gadget and discard the rat in the rubbish canister. In any case, you should ensure that the battery is full and it stays far away from children and pets.
Let me show some impressive results!
You can give a try to use Asprint Electric Humane Mouse Trap that kills 50 rats per each set of 4C batteries. The higher voltage shock is, quicker the rats are killed.
It’s a non-toxic, reusable electric snap which is easy to use. You need to bait, turn on and dispose of the rat simply. Take a piece of cake!
Trap rats before they enter
“Prevention is better than cure”. The best idea is that you should try to avoid rats before they come to your house.
All the things you need to do are sealing the holes and gaps, using traps outside your home in spots like yard and carport. Recognize the ways that rats regularly use to move around and place the traps there.
Place baited snap traps along the wall and tree extended to keep these rodents from getting inside your home. You can likewise utilize wire to secure traps to rooftop funnels, branches, and so on.
Hold on! It is not everything I want to tell you.
Natural baits for rats
There are some natural baits to help you catch smart rats in your house.
- Peppermint: You should put dried, or fresh mint leaves in the places where mice often visit. The scent of this plant will keep the rats away. You can leave the mint tea bag in the drawer or hang in the closet.
- Chili: Chili powder or small chili peppers can prevent the entry of rats. You should sprinkle chili powder around the house, the rat cave or the places where they often go.
- Cinnamon: The spicy aroma of cinnamon has the effect of chasing mice and rats. You can put cinnamon bags in drawers and wardrobes, sprinkle fresh or dried cinnamon sticks around the cupboards and favorite places of rats.
- Garlic: A little garlic powder sprinkled in holes and caves also makes the rat afraid. You should use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic for longer permeability. The pungent smell of garlic will make the rats uncomfortable and stay away.
- Soda: Pour a can of soda into a small bowl and place it in the area where the mouse typically lives. Carbon in the soda will kill rats shortly after they drink. However, notice that soda is also attractive to ants.
- Mashed potato: Place a thin layer of mashed potato and a bowl of water at the rat’s caves or places they usually go. Sodium in mashed potatoes will make thirsty rats eat. Water will cause the potato to expand in the stomach and cause the rat to die.
Just simple like that. And we won’t see ugly rats anymore!
It is certain that you have the answers to the question “How to catch a smart rat in your house”.
Believe in me! We are smarter than rats! With some mentioned methods above, do you have a suitable answer for the question “how to catch a smart rat in my house”? If you have any excellent traps for catching these rodents, share with us in the comment section!